If beach means bliss to you, then Gokarna is the place to be. A small beach town in Karnataka, Gokarna offers respite from the maddening rush of Goa while letting you unwind and relax by the beautiful blue waters of the Arabian Sea. Gokarna’s stunning beaches such as Om Beach, Half Moon Beach, Nirvana Beach and Paradise Beach offer surreal to sacred experiences to the visitors. For water sports enthusiasts, Gokarna offers a wide range of interesting activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling, banana boat rides and more. Known for its various temples and shrines, one of the cheap places to visit in India, Gokarna also attracts many spiritual and religious visitors throughout the year. While here, do visit one of the oldest Shiva temples in the country—Sri Mahabaleshwara Swamy Temple. Made of granite, the 4th-century temple is a classic example of Dravidian architecture, making the visit worth it even for a non-religious traveller.
- Best time to visit – October to March
- Ideal duration – 3-4 days
- How to reach –
- By Air: You can fly to Dabolim Airport in Goa (140 km away) and take a taxi to Gokarna.
- By Train: Ankola Railway Station (about 20 km from Gokarna) is the nearest railway station and is well-connected to most major cities such as Mumbai and Thiruvananthapuram.
- By Road: Gokarna is well-connected to almost all major cities in Karnataka by road. Also, it can be easily accessed from National Highway 17 that connects Mumbai to Kochi.
- Average cost (stay and food) – Rs 800-Rs 1300/day approx